A family who were burnt in a flambé accident at a restaurant in turkey are reported to be seeking compensation.
Tony Barr was on holiday with his wife Kirsty and his daughters when the accident happened. They had gone to Marmaris, Turkey to celebrate the couple’s wedding anniversary.
During the break, the family visited the La Luna restaurant for a meal. The waiter was carrying a local fish in salt dish that is set on fire to flambé and cook. However, he squeezed a bottle of alcohol at the dish causing flames to shoot over the Barr family.
15 year old Jessica burnt her forearm grabbing 2 year old Rosie from her pram as the fire spread. However, both Tony and Kirsty suffered serious burns and had to spend a week in hospital in Turkey. The couple suffered burns to their heads, chest and arms as they were set alight in the incident.
The Blackburn Citizen reports that Tony is now working with his solicitor to get compensation from the restaurant for his injuries.
The incident capped a disaster-hit holiday for the family. First they were caught in a minor earthquake, then they had a mix-up with their travel insurance. In total they had to spend five weeks in Turkey because of their injuries, and Mr Barr told the newspaper of his gratitude for Thomas Cook, who helped him after the accident.
Police in Turkey were made aware of the accident, although no action was taken.