A couple have been awarded compensation of £10,000 after they fell seriously ill on holiday, it is being reported.
Scott and Leanne Beasant had booked a dream two-week break in the Maldives, staying at the Summer Island Village Hotel. The couple dreamed of spending the vacation undertaking activities such as snorkelling and scuba diving, but things did not go to plan.
The couple both soon became violently ill, and were diagnosed as suffering from salmonella poisoning. Salmonella is usually caught from eating undercooked food.
The couple were so ill that they spent the entire holiday inside their hotel room, only leaving to make visits to the hospital. Mr Beasant lost one and a half stone in weight in just five days due to the illness.
The Metro reports that the couple made a holiday illness claim against the tour operator, and have just received a settlement. They received £10,000 compensation after their team successfully argued that the experience had a negative influence on their lives. It is claimed that the hotel was dirty, without water supply and served undercooked food.
A spokesperson for the tour operator told the paper that all of their accommodation meets health and safety requirements set by the government of the country it is located.