A woman is seeking compensation after a popping balloon caused her a serious eye injury.
Alison Fox had bought the balloons from Sainsbury’s to use as part of celebrations for her husband’s 60th birthday. The balloons were special novelty balloons that were illuminated by a battery pack inside.
While they were having the birthday dinner with friends, one of the balloons exploded unexpectedly. This caused the battery pack inside to hit Mrs Fox in the eye causing a serious injury.
She was taken to hospital where she was told that she was suffering from an abrasion on the cornea, and a shaken retina. She was left with serious swelling to the eye, and was blinded for a few days afterwards. She also suffered from headaches and blurred vision for a month after the incident.
Now, the Scotsman is reporting that Mrs Fox is considering seeking eye injury compensation for her injuries from the manufacturers of the balloons, Seatriver International. She is quoted as stating that any legal action is more about highlighting the dangers of the balloons then receiving monetary compensation. She urged people especially parents to take care when using the balloons.
A spokesperson for the manufacturer told the newspaper that they were investigating the incident, but insisted that all of their products met legal safety standards and certifications.