A farm worker has suffered a serious electric shock injury after an accident at work.
David McMullan was working on Crouchmoor Farm in Cambridgeshire in the autumn of last year when the incident happened. He was operating irrigation equipment for his employers, who are one of the biggest potato growers in the UK.
He lifted one of the irrigation pipes, but it mistakenly came into contact with an overhead power cable. This power cable carries a staggering 33,000 volts and caused Mr McMullan to suffer a severe electric shock.
The 20 year old from Northern Ireland suffered serious burns and internal injuries, and had to have his big toe amputated. He spent a total of nine weeks in hospital recovering from the ordeal. Many workers who suffer such devastating injuries, go on to make electric shock injury compensation claims. It should be stressed however, that it has not been reported whether this was the case with Mr McMullan.
The Health and Safety Executive prosecuted Waldersley Farms Ltd – the firm he was working for – in regards to the accident. They pleaded guilty to breaking Electricity at Work Regulations and were fined £10,000.
A spokesperson for the HSE stated that employers have a duty to make workers aware of the presence of overhead power lines, conduct risk assessments and provide adequate training to prevent accidents.